You are protected against religious discrimination in the workplaceMost people may not realize that both federal and state laws protect workers from being discriminated against in the workplace due to their religious beliefs. According to the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), religious discrimination “Involves treating a person (an applicant or employee) unfavorably because of his or her religious beliefs.” Federal law makes it very clear that this law protects not only those belonging to traditional organized religions such as Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, etc., but also those who have other religious, moral, or ethical beliefs. State laws in California mirror these federal protections and go on to say that workers are protected from discrimination based on their “creed” as well. At Rager & Yoon – Employment Lawyers, we also want to point out that it is unlawful to discriminate against someone based on their “perceived religious beliefs” or if they have no religious beliefs at all.
What does this discrimination look like?There are various ways that this discrimination can occur in the workplace, including the following:
- Hiring, firing, and promoting: It is illegal to discriminate against both applicants and current employees based on their need to take religious holidays or the Sabbath off from work. No wage or promotion decisions may be based on a person’s religion, and it is illegal to transfer an employee to positions with less public contact because of their religious beliefs or appearance.
- Failing to accommodate: Employers are required to make reasonable accommodations in a worker’s schedule for the Sabbath or other religious holidays. Employers may not force employees to remove religious garb to comply with company dress codes. Workers must also be allowed a reasonable time to pray during the workday.
Let us get to work on your case todayIf you or somebody you love has faced religious discrimination in the workplace, you need to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At Rager & Yoon – Employment Lawyers, our qualified and experienced team is dedicated to standing up for the rights of workers. We will investigate your claim and work to secure any compensation you are entitled to. This can include:
- Reinstatement to your job
- Front pay
- Back pay
- Pain and suffering damages
- Court cost and legal fees
- Possible punitive damages against the employer